Saturday 9 April 2011

My Public Relations Career Plan

Before I came to University of Westminster to study public relations, I worked for four-month as fulltime intern at a multinational PR agency to get a taste of what the PR world like, which proved extremely helpful for me to make sense about a lot of things I learnt later and getting me a internship opportunity.


Currently I am interning part-time with a company that specializes in Sino-UK communication. Right now my role mostly involves translation, researching and facilitating and coordinating communications among different parties.


As the lectures ends and the task of dissertation approaches, I am aiming to continue the part-time internship until the end of May. Then I plan to ask for a two-month break to focus on my dissertation while consolidating my theoretical knowledge about this industry.


After I finish my dissertation, if possible I hope to work as a fulltime employee in the current company I am interning with for one year or two to become a effective communicator in both Chinese and English contexts. During this period, my primary goal is to
1.became very fluent and confident in communicating with native English speakers, both in written and oral forms, on informal and formal occasions.
2.have a thorough understanding of UK media landscape as well as a better understanding of UK political, economic and cultural contexts.
3.begin to build my professional network.


I am still open to the step after that. I may go on to stay in the company. But it is also likely that I will go back to my country to work as either an in-house preferably or an agency PR professional to accumulate enough experience before I can switch to in-house team.
In terms of sectors and industries I want to work in, at first I would like to experience working for as many as possible industries. Then I will probably focus on corporate communication and finally third sector .


Here's an interesting and helpful video about tips on career planning. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment